The Scale Up Sourcebook is informed and inspired by the September 2018 conference, Innovations in Agriculture: Scaling Up to Reach Millions, organized by Purdue University, in partnership with the African Development Bank.
- designing with scale in mind;
- assessing scalability;
- using commercial markets to drive scaling;
- financing the transition to scale;
- creating an enabling environment for scale;
- tailoring metrics, monitoring, and evaluation to support sustainable outcomes at scale;
- and the critical role of intermediary and donor organizations.
The Sourcebook provides guidance, tips, and examples, along with links and references to additional resources on scale up.
25-27 September 2018. Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA. A conference focused on effective approaches to scaling up agricultural technologies and innovations in the developing world.
Scaled-up agricultural technologies and innovations can be a game-changer in food-insecure countries. This conference sought to address the following questions about scale up:
- What hinders large scale adoption?
- What makes things scalable?
- What driving factors are critical for successful scale up? (e.g., markets, capital, policy, behavioral changes)
- How can multi-stakeholder partnerships and initiatives facilitate success?
- What has worked, what hasn’t, and why?
- Who can I connect with at the conference to enhance scale up efforts?
This conference was intended for multiple audiences in the research to impact continuum.
Researchers: Increase the potential for successful commercialization of research efforts by better understanding scale up requirements and partner needs
- Implementing organizations: Gain insight to working with donors, governments and industries for scaling up innovations toward sustainable agriculture
- Business community: Understand the role and needs of both large agriculture companies and local businesses in scaling up. Develop and strengthen partnerships to expand markets
- Policymakers: Understand how the regulatory framework and enabling environment catalyze or inhibit technology scale up that impacts the agricultural sector
- Donors and investment communities: Understand the opportunities, challenges, and focus of the research community and implementing organizations, to form early relationships with attention to scale up needs
Source: PAEPARD FEED