12-13 June 2019. The Digital Agriculture Transformation Seminar #aginnovation
aims to foster an exchange among stakeholders(policy-makers, development partners, UN system, public and private sector, research and academia).
It identifies the challenges that the digital transformation brings to agriculture and rural systems, and explore pathways for assessing both the risk and opportunities from the digital transformation along the value chains and in rural areas; and the need for a strategy to increase digital maturity in agriculture.
Agriculture is being transformed with digital technologies, ubiquity, portability and mobility anywhere and at any time (smartphones, Internet of Things, cloud-based services), smart and prediction technology (analytics and artificial intelligence) as well as interconnected data-driven systems (distributed data layer, blockchain, etc.).
This has been increasingly improving production and productivity, ensuring faster time to market, operating a streamlined supply chain and reducing operational costs. However, there are potential drawbacks:
- cybersecurity and data protection,
- labour replacement and re-education,
- digital divide and
- the risk of increasing the concentration in the private sector.
- Digital agriculture and rural areas—practices in China; Ke Tang, Director General of Department of Market and Informatization, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs P.R. China
- Making ICT work for smallholders: IFAD perspective ; Thouraya Triki, Director of Sustainable Products, Markets and Institutions, International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD)
- Benefits and risks of digitalization for the poor and smallholders ; Maximo Torero Cullen, Assistant Director-General, Economic and Social Development Department, FAO
- Digital4Development strategy in EU support to sustainable agriculture ; Christophe Larose, Head, Sector of Sustainable Agriculture from EU- European Commission – DG International Cooperation and Development
- Digital agriculture: how the international community can help ; Michael Hailu, Director, Technical Agricultural and Rural Cooperation ACP-European Union (CTA)
e-evolution of APMA
- Archil Bukia, Deputy Director, Agricultural Projects Management Agency (APMA), Georgia
- William Beam, Deputy Administrator for Farm Programs, United States Department of Agriculture, US
- Daniel Azevedo, Director, Trade Division and Digital Agriculture Department, Committee of Professional Agricultural Organisation & General Confederation of Agricultural Cooperatives (COPA-COGECA)
- His Excellency Kip Tom, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the United States of America to FAO, IFAD and WFP, United States – Closing the digital divide
- Srinivasu Pappula, Chief Scientist and Global Head Digital Farming Initiatives of Tata Consultancy Service, India – Transforming rural economies with PRIDE(TM)
- Mouhsine Lakhdissi, Co-CEO of AGRIDATA, Morocco – Transforming rural economies with PRIDE(TM)
- Bernhard Yvetot, Vice-President, International Strategy, Orange Group Strategy Division, France – Orange eAgriculture solutions in Africa
- Michele Bernardi, Senior Consultant in Agrometeorology and Early Warning Systems, Italy Connecting the dots… time is now
- Srinivasan Arunachalam, JMR InfoTech CEO, India
- Arif Satria, Rector, Bogor Agricultural University, Indonesia – Earth observation to increase water productivity (Water Productivity Assessment – WAPOR)
- Livia Peiser, Technical Officer, Climate, Biodiversity, Land and Water Department, FAO
- Marco Gualtieri, Founder and Chairman, Seeds and Chips, Italy
- Tom Anyonge, Lead Technical Specialist on Youth at the Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division, IFAD
- Alex Ntale, Chief Executive Officer of the Rwanda ICT Chamber, Rwanda Agricultural extension – youth interface towards digital agriculture transformation
- Nevena Alexandrova-Stefanova, Agricultural Extension Officer (Systems), FAO
Source: PAEPARD FEED