18-21 June 2019. Nairobi, Kenya 1st International Conference on Agroecology Transforming Agriculture& Food Systems in Africa. Reducing Synthetic Fertilizers and Pesticides through Scaling Up Agroecology,Promoting Ecological Organic Trade.
There has been a growing interest in agroecology in recent years as an innovative and sustainable response to the challenges facing our food and agriculture systems. In particular, this has been since 2014 with FAO playing a leading role in facilitating global dialogue on agroecology.
- Through a series of 9 regional and international multi-stakeholder meetings, more than 2,100 participants from 170 countries have come together to discuss the potential of agroecology to transform food and agriculture systems, as well as identify needs and priorities to scale up agroecology as a strategic approach to achieve Zero Hunger and the SDGs.
- This process culminated in the 2nd International Symposium on Agroecology in April 2018 in Rome, where FAO and UN Partners launched a Scaling Up Agroecology Initiative, marking a shift in focus from dialogue to action.
- The “Global Advocacy Project (GAP) 2017-2020” implemented by Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT) and PELUM Kenya, funded by SSNC and others aims at contributing to the Scaling up Agroecology Initiative and at bringing the agroecology discussion to policymakers and other key stakeholders in Eastern Africa, particularly Kenya, Ethiopia and Uganda.
- Impact of synthetic inputs.
- Alternative environmentally based technologies and methodologies to reduce synthetic pesticide use and contamination
2. Scaling up Agroecology
- Frameworks, methods of performance assessment and scaling up strategies for Agroecology.
- Partnerships, networking and financing innovations.
3. Best practices towards food security, nutrition, consumption and health
4. Strengthening Ecological Organic Trade, Markets and Economy
5. Policies and legislation success efforts in synthetic fertilizers and pesticides reduction, Agroecology and Ecological Organic Trade.
Source: PAEPARD FEED