20 November 2018. The Brussels Development Briefing n. 53 on The next generation of farmers: successes and new opportunities.
To generate growth in rural areas and new employments and investments in farms, new kills and practices will be needed for for new generations of farmers and agro-processors. To reach this, a number of changes need to happen: farming needs to be competitive to retain or access to new markets, increase its productivity, engage in diversification processes and use technology and innovation to be more efficient in use of resources.
Panel 1: What is required to support the next generation of farmers?This panel provided an overview of what policies and actions are required to support the next generation of farmers to increase productivity, better access to remunerative markets and increased use of technology.
- Key challenges and opportunities for the next generation of farmers Débísí Àràbà, Director, Africa Region, International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
- Successes of the CAP and lessons learned for the ACP Iman Boot, Senior Expert, Directorate for Agriculture, European Commission
- Africa’s development trajectory in the evolving global context Thang Nguyen-Quoc, Policy Analyst, Africa Unit, OECD Development Centre
- Connecting farmers to markets in Africa Jannes Maes, President of the European Council of Young Farmers (CEJA)
- Update and way forward on AGRI/DEVCO Taskforce for Rural Africa Tom Arnold, Chairman,
TFRAMembers of the Task Force Rural Africa – strengthening our partnership in food and farming
See also PAEPARD blogpost:
Panel 2: Lessons learned from successes in farming across ACP and EU regionsThis panel discussed best practices across the ACP on policies, markets and technologies.=
|Akin Sawyerr, Co-founder @afgean |
“We have created farmers market initiatives
to ensure fair and sustainable market access for farmers“
- Best practices and successes of women farmers in Europe Lotta Folkesson, Chair, Women Committee, COPA
- Connecting production to growing markets in value added agri-food chains
Akin Sawyerr, Co-founder of Agricultural Fresh Produce Growers and Exporters Association of Nigeria (AFGEAN) (see at the bottom video @2:56:40)
- Promoting quality schemes: the case of Jamaica Jerk GI Winston Stona, Associated Manufacturers Limited, Jamaica
The Briefing was webstreamed: https://brusselsbriefings.net
Source: PAEPARD FEED