Classic Foods Ltd
Eleven years ago Kenyan accountant Wachira Kariuki quit his career to basically buy and sell milk. But he became frustrated with being a “middle man” so in 2009 took a loan, leased an old facility and started processing milk. Kariuki was later able to secure financing to outright buy the facility, located 50km from the capital Nairobi. (He was represented @ the FoodFIRST conference by : Cecilia Ndegwa who is dairy farmer in Kenya and sells milk to Classic Foods Ltd.
Today Kariuki’s company, Classic Foods, is involved in processing a wide range of products, including pasteurised milk, yogurt, maize flour, honey, tomato sauce, juices and animal feeds. Over the next decade, he hopes to build a US$100m business.
See this case study in the book: Critical Capital for African Agri-Food SMEs (page 41)
Green Banana Food Company is a social enterprise, registered in
the Netherlands and Uganda, that uses under-utilized produce and turns it into high nutrient, high value food products.
African Food Revolution (AFR) was founded in 2017 in Ancona, Italy by three individuals Makhosi Mahlangu (Zimbabwe), Andrea Torresi (Italy) and Ahmed Altaher (Sudan). Currently not less than 14 science, engineering and economics graduate students are involved in the AFR team.
- It was produced by Dodore Kenya Ltd. Dodore Kenya Ltd is a successful company in Nairobi with 45 employees. It develops and implements innovative mobile wallets that help vulnerable people (low income, women, youth) save money earmarked for specific purposes. The team is passionate are determined to change the world.
- COIN22 offers food supply chain finance services using blockchain technology. Agri-wallet is COIN22’s token-based mobile payment, savings and loans scheme for farmers and food companies. Agri-wallet is implemented by Dodore Kenya Ltd in partnership with Rabobank and MasterCard Foundation.
- See: 24/05/2018 Dodore en Rabobank Foundation financieren boeren
Growing Solutions Kenya is a Dutch government sponsored program aiming to support small and
medium sized vegetables growers in Kenya. This is realized by combining Dutch technology (fitted to local conditions), such as automation, and expertise with local expertise of growers and knowledge centers. This program is implemented by the consortium Green Farming that consists of 12 leading Dutch greenhouse technology
At three demo-units at Latia Resource Centre, Growing Solutions demonstrates innovative greenhouse production technology adapted to the local production conditions. The institution is fully certified by the Technical And Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETTA) of the Republic of Kenya. They run an Apprenticeship program that is competency based and geared towards producing skilled and productive manpower for agribusinesses. Currently LRC in partnership with development partners is implementing the following projects:
- Agriculture Apprenticeship Program
- NICHE project:
- Agricultural Entrepreneurship Incubator Project
- HortIMPACT project
- Outreach program
Source: PAEPARD FEED