headquarters of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the UN. The report of CFS 43 will be made available
The 43rd session of the Committee on World Food Security (CFS 43) endorsed policy recommendations on the role of livestock for sustainable agricultural development for food security and nutrition, and on connecting smallholders to markets. CFS also decided to support country-led
- On the role of livestock, CFS acknowledged the report ‘Sustainable Agricultural Development for Food Security and Nutrition: What Roles for Livestock?’ produced by the CFS High-level Panel of experts. It endorsed a set of policy recommendations based on the report and encouraged all stakeholders to use the recommendations, document their experiences and present them at a stock taking exercise to be organized at a future CFS session.
- On connecting smallholders to markets, the CFS endorsed a set of policy recommendations developed by the Open-ended Working Group (OEWG) on Connecting Smallholders to Markets.
- Other issues on the CFS agenda included: sustainable food systems, nutrition and climate change; CFS engagement in advancing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2030 Agenda); the Report on the State of Food Insecurity in the World (SOFI) and the 2030 Agenda; monitoring the implementation of CFS decisions and recommendations; CFS engagement in advancing nutrition; the Multi-Year Programme of Work (MYPoW); the Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition (GSF); and evaluation of the CFS.
|Patrick Caron, Chair, |
HLPE Steering Committee
[CFS 43 Website] [CFS 43 Blog] [IISD RS Report of CFS 43] [IISD RS Coverage of CFS 43] [FAO Press Release on the Opening of CFS 43]
implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and to provide regular contributions to reviews under the High-level Political Forum (HLPF).
To participate to the e-consultation:
- See the introductory note from the HLPE Steering Committee
- Download the V0 Draft of the HLPE report
- Submit your comments through the eConsultation portal, or by clicking here.
Contributions are welcome in English, French and Spanish.
The eConsultation will run from 24 October to 5 December 2016
Statement by Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet as head of the U.S. delegation to the 43d Committee on World Food Security (CFS) on “Sustainable Food Systems, Nutrition and Climate Change.”
Terry Sunderland of the Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) participated in the Committee for World Food Security (CFS) 43 held this week at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Sunderland says that it is possible to increase food security and nutrition for millions of people without clearing forests. Sunderland, who has been researching the relationship between forests and diets, says that an integrated approach to agriculture and forestry is important to food security.
Remarks by David Nabarro, Special Representative of the UN SG for Food Security and Nutrition
Source: PAEPARD FEED