21-22 January 2016. Paris. International Conference : “The Transformation of Research in the South: policies and outcomes”. Organisers: International Development Research Center (IDRC), Canada ; Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), France ; Centre Population et Développement (IRD and Univ. Paris Descartes), Paris ; Institut Recherche-Innovation-Société (IFRIS), France ; OECD Development Centre.
How countries support public scientific research has a direct bearing on the capability of researchers to generate scientific knowledge, and of organizations to adapt or apply such knowledge. While many countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America are characterized by weak scientific capacity, there are signs of change in how governments support research and promote science.
- Developing research policy frameworks
- Strengthening academic research
- Expanding public and private participation in research
- Frameworks/tools for assessing research performance and impact
- Transnational cooperation in research:
- Science-granting councils in Sub-Saharan Africa: A typology of diverse science funding configurations Johann Mouton (Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology at Stellenbosch University, South Africa)
- Priority issues for evaluation research in Science Granting Councils – Sub Saharan Africa Johann Mouton (Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology at Stellenbosch University, South Africa)
- Evolution of science policy research in South Africa – “plus ça change …” Michael Kahn
(Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology, South Africa)
- Strengthening innovation and development research in African universities: the case of AfricaLics Anna Kingiri, Rebecca Hanlin (AfricaLics Secretariat, African Centre for Technology Studies, Kenya) Margrethe Holm Andersen (Globelics Secretariat, Aalborg University, Denmark) Aschalew Tigabu (AfricaLics Secretariat, African Centre for Technology Studies, Kenya)
- A Systemic Method for Assessing the Impacts of Agricultural Research for Development Temple Ludovic, Barret Danièle, Dabat MH., Devaux-Sparatakis A., Faure G., Hainzelin Etienne, Mathé S., Toillier A., Triomphe B. (Centre de coopération internationale en recherche agronomique pour le développement (CIRAD), France)
- New trends in knowledge generation lifts research cooperation in Africa a notch higher Margaret Wanjiku (The MDG Centre, East and Southern Africa, Kenya)
- The structuring of scientific research through cooperation in Africa countries: examples from French research for development Philippe Hamelin, Ouidir Benabderrahmane, Rigas Arvanitis (Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, France)
Source: PAEPARD FEED