25th January 2016. Roundtable of aflatoxin experts on “Building a multi-stakeholder approach to mitigate aflatoxin contamination of food and feed”.
PAEPARD is organizing with the support of the Directorate General Santé of the European Commission and the East African Farmer Federation (EAFF), and in collaboration with the Partnership for Aflatoxin Control in Africa (PACA) and the African Society of Mycotoxicology (ASM), a roundtable meeting of key aflatoxin experts (not only research experts) on the mitigation of aflatoxin in food and feed in Africa on Monday 25/01/2015 in Brussels (by invitation only).
This is a follow up to the PAEPARD policy brief on the aflatoxin contamination of food and feed in Africa presented during the DEVCo Info Lunch conference in Brussels on 26th October 2015.
- Date: Monday 25th January 2016: 9h30-17h30
- Venue: Albert Borschette Conference Center
(36 rue Froissart, Metro station “Schuman” lines 1 and 5)
- Meeting Room: 5b
- Meeting title: Management of Aflatoxin in Africa: working group on aflatoxin
- Organiser: PAEPARD
Objectives of the Roundtable meeting:
- Assessing the real needs of Africa, expressed by various stakeholders.
- Assessing the current expertise from African and European organisations on aflatoxin issues relevant to Africa, and identify new research and ICT (Information and communication technology) collaboration on aflatoxin mitigation between Africa and Europe and synergies with ongoing or future aflatoxin research in Africa (China, USA, Germany …). 1
- Linking together the most competent partners around the funding and knowledge bases for implementing aflatoxin contamination mitigation on a large scale in Africa.
Representatives of DG DevCo, DG Research, DG Agriculture, DG Trade and DG Health will attend the Roundtable.
The format of this meeting will include a morning session with presentations and discussions. The afternoon session will be organized in three consecutive panels on pre-harvest mitigation, post-harvest technologies, and education and awareness creation. The third and last session will discuss upcoming funding opportunities and an action plan for the way forward.
Stephen Muchiri, EAFF, the Chairperson of the morning session
Brad Flett – Agricultural Research Council – Grain Crops Institute, Potchefstroom, RSA
(coordinator of the Mycokey project under H2020- SFS-13-2015 call on Biological contamination of crops and the food chain: A contribution to a long-term collaboration with China on food safety).
PPTs below will not be presented but serve as background for the participants
- Programme (3 pages)
- Background note (11 pages)
- List of participants (2 pages)
- PAEPARD P O L I C Y B R I E F N °1 The role of multi-stakeholder partnerships between Africa and Europe exemplified by the issue of aflatoxin contamination of food and feed.
- CTA aflatoxin poster
October 2015 (8 pages)
Related PAEPARD blog posts on aflatoxin
See: http://paepard.blogspot.be/search/label/Aflatoxin (61 blog posts)
Source: PAEPARD FEED