- Food security issues are at the heart of these concerns and should be considered as part of the solution to the challenges they raise. Of central importance is the food sector which is the largest economic sector in the region, far ahead of extractive industries, cash crops or the energy sector.
- The food economy offers huge potential for creating more jobs, stimulating stronger and more inclusive growth, opening up a wider field of opportunities – in rural and urban areas – for agricultural producers and entrepreneurs, and pulling the most vulnerable out of poverty and insecurity.
- Leonard MIZZI, Head of Unit, Rural Development, Food Security, Nutrition (DEVCO C1)
- Charlotte ADRIAEN, Deputy Head of Unit, Development Coordination and Regional Cooperation WestAfrica (DEVCO E2)
- Laurent BOSSARD, Director, Sahel and West Africa Club Secretariat
- Philipp HEINRIGS, Senior Economist, Sahel and West Africa Club Secretariat
Maps and facts on Food issues and Demographic, Migration and Security Challenges
Food issues are at the heart of the West African economy and society; ignoring their importance would be a strategic error. The business of making food for human consumption, including all elements of the value chain – production, processing and distribution – is the largest sector in the region, far ahead of oil, cash crops or industry. The food sector is key for creating more jobs, stimulating stronger and more inclusive growth, opening up a wider field of opportunities for agricultur al producers and other entrepreneurs, and pulling the most vulnerable out of poverty and insecurity.
Published on 26 Apr 2017 : RPCA meeting, 10-12 April 2017
Members of the Food Crisis Prevention Network (RPCA) reviewed the final results of the 2016-17 agro-pastoral campaign, analysed the food and nutrition situation and made some recommendations, particularly focused on mobilising urgent and co-ordinated assistance to the affected populations in the Lake Chad basin. They also encouraged all stakeholders to commit to implementing long-term programmes to rehabilitate and strengthen the resilience of vulnerable populations.
Source: PAEPARD FEED