12-13 October 2016. Nairobi, Kenya. This 2 day conference aimed at building a refocused program and establishing monitoring mechanisms to address the needs of a dynamic food security program.
Poverty, climate change, food price hikes, water scarcity, land rights, fairer agricultural policies – all of these issues and more were addressed to ensure that infinitely better management of natural and financial resources and more strategic investment are implemented. The Exhibition which ran alongside the event showcased latest technologies and other innovative products and solutions
Extracts of the programme:
The Role of Corporate and Private Sector:
- Dr. Moses Makayoto, Head Kirdi Enterprises/Chief Research Scientist, Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute: Drivers of innovation, investment and growth for in this industry
- Lois Ndiba, Chief Executive Officer, Food Safety International: Food wastage management- corporate responsibilities
- James Mwangi Ndiritu, Area Manager Food Security, Vestergaard Frandsen EA: PPP opportunities for domestic agriculture
- Nickly Kipkorir, Head Technical, LAGRAN Group: Organic Farming? A fad or a business reality
Innovative Financing – Promoting access to finance in agriculture
This session focused on government, private sector and third sector / development assistance
interventions relevant to the BCI Enabling Mechanism which seeks to promote equitable access to responsible finance for farmers.
- Zak Syengo, Head of Marketing & Corporate Affairs, Rafiki Microfinance Bank
- Elizabeth Obanda, Senior Regional Programme Officer, Rural Development, Aga Khan Foundation (East Africa)
- John Ndung’u, Chief Operations Officer, Hand in Hand Eastern Africa
- Geoffrey Musyoki Kioko, Agricultural Loans Specialist, Oiko Credit Kenya
Agricultural Extension and Sustaining Practices
This session accessed application of scientific research and new knowledge to agricultural practices through farmer’s education and rural development programs on environmental health, economic profitability, and social and economic equity.
- Lawrence Kiguro, Associate Director, Livelihoods & Resilience, World Vision Kenya
- Anja Weber, Country Manager, Soil Care Limited
- James Mwololo, Head of Agriculture, Farm Africa
- Mila Sell, Programme Coordinator, Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke)
Source: PAEPARD FEED